Monday, July 12, 2010

Article Two: AT for Writing

"Techtalk: Assistive Technology for Writing" by David C. Caverly, published in Journal of Developmental Education.

This article is a later publication of the same column, with a more specific focus on AT available for writing tasks. Again, I learned about so many options that I never even knew existed, such as raised/wax lines on paper, alternative keyboards, touch screens, "sip and puff" (inhalation and exhalation) systems, wands for students' heads or chins, word prediction software, outline/mapping programs, reference/citation programs, and joysticks/trackballs for students' hands or feet.

Thinking ahead to my paper, I realize that I may have difficulty, because there is SO MUCH AT out there, I fear a 10 page laundry list of every technology mentioned or described in my articles. Reflecting on this, I realized that although I work with students from a low socio-economic status who may never see all the high-tech AT I am learning about, AT is not 100% about access. Training and best fit for students' needs are just as important, and I shouldn't have disregarded that. For example, I have worked with several nonverbal students who have high-tech communication programs, but their machine sits in its case every day because the student doesn't fully understand how to use it, or the machine never gets used at home because parents never recieved training. Some students who had no choice in what type of AT they recieve don't use their assigned AT because it really isn't the best fit for them, and the students weren't involved in deciding what would best fit their individual needs.

Ultimately, I hope to be a special education teacher for students with severe and multiple disabilities, and my goal with this research project is to better educate myself with what's out there, so that I can not only advocate for my students in their ACCESS to AT, but also to ensure that it best fits their needs.

Woodlake Technologies
http://www.woodlaketechnologies.com/default.asp

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you there are so many kinds of assistive technologies available that it can be very overwhelming. I know that I have had students who have FM devices to help them hear. Even wearing one of these as a teacher can be intimidating. In order to help you limit the research available you might want to limit your paper to a few AT you are interested in learning more about. I wonder if you had a student who needed a specific type of AT if there are any grants available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for enlightening me on some of the different types of Assistive Technology out there today. I also thought AT was some high tech/space age stuff, and I agree it's comforting to know it can be as simple as the type of pencil you have or how you hold it. Last year as a teaching assistant, I worked with two students who are visually impaired. The school provided them with a computer that could zoom in/out on text on the screen. It also had a camera attached to it that could zoom in/out on worksheets and books and could be turned to look at the classroom around them. I agree knowing how to use the technology is important and sometimes a problem. I knew more about the computer then one of the teachers, which made it difficult for her when I was in another classroom and they needed help. I am also curious about the funding issue and if the school isn't able to provide the equipment, could the county or local agencies help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your feedback guys!!! I'm thinking that I'm going to narrow my paper down to AT for students with Autism, and the grants/local agencies are definitely something I'm going to look into!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a shame that districts pay money for AT technology that is not being used, because either it is the wrong fit for the student or the student does not know how to use it. I am not sure who decides what AT to purchase but these people should ensure that it is the correct fit for the student and that both the teacher and the student are trained in the use of the technology. I have a student who is supposed to use an Alpha Smart and he never brings it to class. I found out that he has one through a conversation with his inclusive education teacher about his handwriting. Teachers in his other classes may not have been enforcing the use of this technology and this may be why he was not bringing it to my class. All teachers working with the student need to be aware of the AT available to the student and ensure that it is being consistently used in order to ensure success for that student.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post reminded me of the "unicorn stick" used by the man in this story at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/books/24nolan.html

    In this story, assistive technology allowed a quadriplegic to express himself like never before. He had all these words bottled up for years.

    ReplyDelete